Travel Diaries: New York, New York: Part II


Today I'm taking another trip down memory lane for the second part of my New York post. It's been two months since I went to the Big Apple and I wish everyday that I could go back and experience it all over again; the sights, the sounds and, of course, the food.

In this post I'll go through the rest of my favourite foodie spots myself and Jason found on the trip, but also add a bunch of pictures of some of the amazing places we visited. Honestly I just want to show off some of my best photos, so sit tight for a yummy, picture filled ride!

KATZ'S DELICATESSEN

Ever seen When Harry Met Sally? Yes or no, you must have seen the famous scene where she fakes an orgasm, and Katz Delicatessen is right where it happened.

That fact makes it a massively popular spot to grab a bite, so unsurprisingly it was jam packed when we arrived. We decided to wait to be seated a table rather than be one of the wallies who orders at the counter then wanders around looking for a table that is never going to be free!

The wait was worth it to order an, also famous, pastrami sandwich. It's a challenge to get your mouth around the bread absolutely crammed to the nines with meat, but a challenge that everyone should take up.


The meat is juicy and tender and, most importantly, tasty. You aren't chewing and chewing for eons through the sandwich - you're enjoying a reasonably priced, super filling treat that probably tastes even better because of its famous connections.

That isn't all there is to please on this menu, though. Jason and I decided we go halves on another sandwich too: corned beef. Packed just as high as the pastrami, you feel accomplished getting through just a quarter of its size. I've never been a massive corned beef fan so I couldn't force my way through much more than that anyway. Regardless, it was still tasty. If I was ever going to say I had a favourite place for pastrami and corned beef, Katz Deli would be it!

Shame I can't visit every weekend...

MCDONALDS

I promise McDonalds is only on here so I can say: LIARS. LIARS ALL OF YOU WHO TOLD ME AMERICAN MACCY D'S IS BETTER! I have only a few words for McDonalds in NYC. Firstly, don't ever forget that a large in America is not a large in the UK. Mistakes were definitely made by myself and Jason... My stomach has much room for food, but not that much room!

Secondly, the Times Square MaccyD's was teeny tiny. I imagined a sprawling, three story monster, but was met by an average sized building. And honestly I'm just mentioning this so I can show off a picture of Times Square! But seriously... American McDonalds is not the shiz.


End.

INSOMNIA COOKIES

If you've read part 1 of this post, you may remember me mentioning Amsterdam Avenue a few times, and it's popping up here again. It really isn't my fault it's full of amazing places to eat! And it's like a hidden gem away from the real bustling heart of the city, serving delicious cookies until 3am.

Yep, you heard me. 3am! Literally opposite our hotel was Insomnia Cookies (the name kind of gives away that late opening, huh?), which was both a blessing and a curse. With boxes of 12 cookies for under $20, we visited numerous times to get our fill of melt-in-your-mouth joy. While the selection of flavours may not be endless, the ones they do have are amazing. Listed on the box in the picture above, your mouth must already be watering. Mine certainly was before I'd even taken a bite of my first Triple Chocolate Chunk.


Horrifically addictive, I'd recommend popping up to the Upper West Side just to visit this place. The cookies are always served warm, always served fast and always served late into the evening. What more could you want from a midnight snack than a guilty, warm cookie? And my personal favourite: White Chocolate Macadamia. Heaven.

GRAND CENTRAL MARKET



Behind the main hub and train platforms of Grand Central is a market selling all kinds of goodies from cakes to flowers to fresh spices. The long hall is just as wonderful as the station itself and has some beautiful food on offer.

It was here I had my first ever cannoli. Unfortunately I wasn't a massive fan, but it looked fantastic and if I liked marzipan more it would have been scoffed in approximately 2.5 seconds. I picked at those chocolate drops like a pro though!


If you're wanting to something a bit fresher and healthier, I'd recommend grabbing a juice from any of the stalls selling them. Truly fresh, they're perfectly sweet and really refreshing after a long day of walking around the city. Or maybe something nice to sip on a train journey if you fancy a trip! We didn't hop on a train anywhere, but just sitting in Grand Central is a great experience in itself, if only just to sample its market, or to visit the massive Apple Store on one of the balconies!


CHELSEA MARKET

Another market to finish off this post. Chelsea Market is in the Chelsea neighbourhood (of course) of NYC, right near the Highline; a disused, elevated train line transformed into a walkway and gardens. Full of boutique shops and foodie delights, Chelsea Market is a lovely little stop off before or after a walk along "The Park in the Sky."

Having eaten already (I know right? Idiots), Jason and I only grabbed an ice tea from the market. Let me say, though: best peach iced tea I've ever had! I find most iced teas grim (Liptons, I'm sorry, but I'm looking at you) as I can't actually get any flavour from them, but this was extra sweet, which is just how I like it. I need to really taste the fruit to know it's there, and boy could I taste it in this one.

Anyway, I wish we could have saved ourselves and eaten somewhere in the market. The Lobster Place looked amazing, and I was craving doughnuts all day after walking past Doughnuttery. One other thing we did try from there though (well... we really had it up on the Highline, but there's one in the market too!) was L'arte Del Gelato. Ice cream!



Gelato is always much smoother and much tastier than simple ice cream, and it was a fab treat to have with a view. I got coffee, my go to ice cream flavour, and it was so delicious. I always want a kick of flavour from my coffee ice cream and I definitely got one. We were tempted to go back for even more afterwards, but instead let ourselves remember it as a one time taste. Oh, how I wish I could have another tub right now and enjoy that view once more ...



- -

I wish I could enjoy all the views of NYC again, from watching the sun set from the top of the Empire State to rounding the Statue of Liberty to watching my idol on Broadway.

I can't wait to visit hundreds of cities all over the world and sample some other foodie delights and sights and make even more amazing memories to share with you all. Jason is always banging on about taking me to his homeland of China, so who knows, maybe my next travel post will be an asian extravaganza!

Until then, do you have any tips for where I should go next? Do you think I missed any hidden gems of NYC?






(those of you who don't know me well should know
that that guy in the picture above is my favourite
person on the planet and seeing him on Broadway
and getting to speak to him in person was
pretty much the happiest moment of my life! It
was almost impossible for me to not include at least
one picture of him in these posts...)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Instagram Stream

The Blogger

23 year old clumsy person, Instagram addict and documentary enthusiast.

Current location, Cambridge. Future resident of London.

PR friendly.

Twitter Updates