The Gin Explorer Box: June


There's a little something about gin that's got everyone buzzing about it this year. I see it everywhere. It's popping up in recipes, being added to more and more cocktails and there's so many independent makers popping up with amazing new twists on it that it's hard to keep track.

Not that I'm complaining. It's exciting to see people really getting into food and drink through gin and I've been really keen for a while to learn a bit more about the spirit. I didn't get a chance to attend the Gin Festival this year and seeing other people's pictures got me itching further to learn some more, so when the lovely people at Gin Explorer got in a contact and asked if I'd like to receive a box a whip up a recipe including gin (see the Gin & Tonic cake here!), I jumped at the chance.

My mind immediately started whirring with what I could make - a cake, a cocktail, biscuits, something savoury - and I was excited to see what gins I'd receive. The box couldn't come quick enough. When it did I was over the moon and almost opened it before remembering I needed to take pictures!


I have to divulge for a small moment onto the design of these boxes. I'm a massive sucker for great graphic design and generally pleasing aesthetics - it's usually what draws me to something on the shelf in a shop - and I love, love, love the design of these boxes. They're so cute and so clever, you really feel like you're unpacking something special when you open the lid. The colour scheme is also perfect with the pale blue and orange and you can't beat a design with a map on it. It's on trend, on point and I'd recommend a subscription simply for that, to be honest!

But on to the contents of the box!




The first thing I knew I had to open was the leaflet emblazoned with 'EXPLORE JUNE' on the front. That, I could tell, was where all the information I first needed was going to be. Inside is a fabulous spread of information from details on all the items included in the box to recipes for cocktails and ice lollies.



'YOUR JUNE JOURNEY' seamlessly, and interestingly, explains the gins you're going to taste on this month's travels.


It all starts with Pinkster; a Cambridge based gin. I was so, so happy to see this in my box as I've lived in and around Cambridge for five years now and I've come to know about Pinkster over the last few months, so to learn even more about them was great! Apparently the spirit came about when it's founder was told by a doctor he could no longer drink wine, and so the refreshingly fruity, rose tinged Pinkster was born. I love this gin. It doesn't kick you too much in the teeth with an alcoholic flavour and the raspberry is a subtle, fresh note that is maybe even more obvious because of the colour of the gin! To know something so tasty is made locally to me is great and if you're ever in the area, I'd recommend picking yourself up a bottle. I love this gin so much I used it in my cake recipe for a fruity punch.


Next on the journey was Bassenthwaite Lake in Cumbria where The Lakes Explorer Gin comes from. I'm told in the description it is the only distillery that use ingredients from within the Lake District itself and that Bassenthwaite Lake is the only true lake in that area too. A unique gin, then! It smells a touch of citrus, but is not my favourite of the four. While I liked it in a gin and tonic, on it's own it was too powerful for me in terms of its alcoholic punch and I couldn't grasp too many flavours. That being said, it's probably a great choice for a seasoned gin drinker so I wouldn't knock it off your list to try if that's you!


Third on the trip was Mason's Yorkshire Gin, from North Yorkshire, specifically Bedale, a small market town. The founders of Mason's, Karl and Cathy Mason, crated Mason's as a gin with less juniper notes and more of everything else - cardamom, bay, fennel and Szechuan pepper. When tasting this, I really picked up on the cardamom as a pleasant flavour that sat on my palate for a while after. This was my favourite of the four gins and the one I used for the buttercream covering my Gin & Tonic cake (don't forget it's here!). It's traditional distillation really pays off and if I'm ever in Yorkshire, I'll definitely pay them a visit.


Last, but not least, we head to Marden in Kent where we find Anno Kent Gin - a fresh, bright gin made in the areas first artisan, micro distillery. Made with fresh, Kent produce, this gin uses liquorice in its flavours and that's the one I tasted most, alongside the coriander. My third favourite of all the gins, it lended itself well to a gin & tonic, where I found its fruity flavours really came to life. You can tell a lot of care went into this gin and it tastes just a little like the countryside - perfect for where it comes from!



Speaking of gin & tonics (well... I've been mentioning them all the way through!), the Peter Spanton Drinks tonic in the box was an interesting take on a tonic. Most bars I've been to use the same tonic (I assume for its abundance), so it was a nice change to have something different. The green apple used in it combines great with gin as its a floral spirit and the subtle cardamom spice makes it a great tonic with a great twist.


The only thing left in the box after I made my way through all those gins was some Joe & Seph's Gin & Tonic popcorn. Firstly, I love Joe & Seph's. They're one of my absolute favourite companies and I could rave on about them for years (I had some of their Marmite popcorn the other day at work and almost fell off my chair in a flavour orgasm), but I must confess: I haven't tried this Gin & Tonic flavour yet! I'm saving it for a post coming up in the next week that I know you'll all love, so keep your eyes out for that.


Whilst you wait for that though, you can see my Gin & Tonic Cake recipe and/or get yourself a bottle of one of these amazing gins and try them yourself. If your interest has really been peaked, or you're already a gin fanatic, I recommend a subscription to the Gin Explorer! It's been seriously good fun learning a bit more about Gin and tasting some I might never have heard of otherwise. If I had more money in my bank and a better stomach for alcohol (I'm a lightweight, sue me) I'd love to get myself a box every month. For now I'll just eat my cake, drink my G&T and maybe start my own journey in discovering new gins!


P.S - keep an eye for the post including the Gin & Tonic popcorn, and maybe a little something else using the leftover gin too ;)

What's your favourite gin? Have you discovered any new ones recently?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Instagram Stream

The Blogger

23 year old clumsy person, Instagram addict and documentary enthusiast.

Current location, Cambridge. Future resident of London.

PR friendly.

Twitter Updates