The University Paradox


As I get ready to start semester two of my MA I'm reminded yet again of what I'm coining 'The University Paradox' - the idea that University is preparation for working life, yet it is the worst way to prepare that I can think of.

This doesn't apply to every course, or every uni, but the reality (and an annoying reality) is that for me and 1000s of other students, university at its busiest takes up to six, at the absolute maximum eight, hours of my week and that's it. Right now it's taking up four at the cost of £6000 for the year; that's roughly £62 per seminar, £72 for the people paying the full whack of £7000 (I'm an alumni of my university so pay less, which is nice)!

It's a hefty price for four hours a week and a hefty price for something that is really, really, really not preparing me for working life. Helping me to understand the industry I want to be in? Absolutely. Helping me to work a full day, learn how to balance work/social life/domesticity? Absolutely NOT. I've learnt that latter by chance in getting a full time job at the University bookshop for a four week stint a couple of months ago. I'm back at it again for the next four weeks (albeit for three days a week), but being here has taught me more about working life th-! University, because I'm actually working. I'm waking up early, making my lunch, talking with colleagues and learning hope to get along in a working environment, I'm on my feet all day and I'm earning a wage. 

At University I spend four hours of my week in seminars and write an essay or do a presentation every now and then to show the worth of those four hours.

Now I'm not dismissing University, I'm dismissing the idea that it's what it's advertised as: prep for life. It is prep for your chosen industry, prep for making friends and prep for social situations in a semi-working environment. It truly does nothing to get you ready for those early starts and long days and aching feet. Work does that and does it very well.

So to any students out there getting more sleep than any human needs, you may regret those long snoozes later on when you step into your place of work for the first week and feel nothing short of zombie-like by the end of it! Get a job, even if just for a month, and forget about university as being enough prep. 

Get out there! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Instagram Stream

The Blogger

23 year old clumsy person, Instagram addict and documentary enthusiast.

Current location, Cambridge. Future resident of London.

PR friendly.

Twitter Updates